Bayer to distribute pheromone-based biological crop protection solutions from M2i Group

Pheromone-based crop protection products help farmers control pests in an environmentally friendly way
Agrilife24.com:Biological pheromones present a non-toxic, innovative opportunity for biological crop protection while safeguarding biodiversity and beneficial pollinators / M2i’s patented bio-sourced micro-encapsulation technology means long-lasting pheromone controls with no residues and no plastic waste / First products to provide 90 days minimum of protection in high-value fruit and vegetable crops utilizing M2i’s controlled release pheromone diffusion technologies

Bayer recently announced a partnership with French company M2i Group to supply fruit and vegetable growers around the world with pheromone-based biological crop protection products. Through the agreement, Bayer will become the exclusive distributor of select M2i products targeting lepidoptera pests in crops that include stone and pome fruits, tomatoes, and grapes.

M2i Group is the leader in pheromone production in Europe and has expertise in developing, formulating, and manufacturing complex molecules. Bayer will integrate M2i’s pheromone products, including M2i’s innovative press application technology, into a complementary system of digitally enabled solutions that include pest monitoring tools to advise growers on pest pressures and application timelines, and other synthetic and biological products tailored to grower needs.

"Tailored solutions that meet growers’ demands for safe and effective products with low or no residue are an important part of Bayer’s biological portfolio," said Jens Hartmann, Regional Head for Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA). "Bringing together M2i’s pheromone products with digital monitoring applications and Bayer’s existing biological portfolio will enable growers to apply the right product at the right time within a holistic approach that benefits their operations."

M2i’s expertise in pheromone crop protection has allowed the company to utilize biomimicry to develop innovative methods that fight pests by attracting and trapping them or interrupting mating behaviors. These integrated pest management products ensure that pest populations are maintained at manageable levels.

"M2i Group is excited to work with Bayer and to bring our sustainable crop protection products to more growers around the world," said Phillippe Guerret, CEO of M2i. "Pheromones present an efficient and economical method of crop protection, as they are selective, non-toxic, and naturally avoid the development of resistance. M2i’s patented technology leverages innovative application devices, and reliable linear release to bring the potential of pheromones to fields across the world."

Bayer launched Vynyty Citrus®, its latest biological and pheromone-based crop protection product in 2021. Vynyty Citrus® is the first such product on the market that is formulated with pheromones and natural pyrethrum to control pests in citrus fruits. M2i’s products will continue to build on Bayer’s pheromone-based biologicals product line.